Friday, August 5, 2011

Big Bouffant

Author: Kate Hosford
Illustrator; Holly Clifton-Brown
Publisher: Carolrhoda Books


"Ponytails and braids! Ponytails and braids! I don't see anything but ponytails and braids! This class needs some fashion. This class needs some fun. I'll find a hairdo to impress everyone." Annabelle doesn't want the same boring hairstyle that all the other girls have. When she spies a picture of her grandma, she has the perfect idea: a big bouffant! But how can she make her style stand up? And will her classmates really be impressed with her daring `do? 

The illustrations in this book are whimsical and colorful.  I especially liked noticing the shadows on the page.  I loved the story.  It provides the reader with a female protagonist who walks to the beat of a different drum.  A great book for the first days of school, to encourage individualism. 

This one earns a #1 and a place in the discussion at the committee meetings for me!.

1 comment:

kkondrick said...

I found this trailer for it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plD609Lvr7c&feature=player_embedded