Friday, April 29, 2011

Goodnight Myrtle Beach, Thanks for the Inspiration

Posted by Picasa
"The more you read, the more you'll know!" , this is my mantra.  I tell my self, I tell my students, I tell anyone who will listen.  

The last two years I have attended the New York State Reading Conference, followed by a vacation in Myrtle Beach, followed by the New York State English Language Arts Exam (one after another in a 4 week period).  You may think "How exhausting!" (with a slight bit of resentment in your voice).  

It inspires me... ironically they spend a lot of time promoting reading at the conference, consequently I spend a lot of time reading on vacation, and then imagine this... I know more.  I learn about families, (dis)utopian worlds, historical events, reading strategies, authors, places... the list goes on and on. 

I am personally amazed at the connections I make to a book after I read it.  I walk around wondering, "How did I understand these things before I read that book?".  I know this happens to our students.  Our students who read.  

We had a pizza party for the 100 students in our school (out of 260ish) that met their reading goals.  They were so proud of them selves.  The room was filled with book talk.  They applauded each other.  It was an English teachers version of heaven.  But how do we reach those who were not there, the large handful of my 6th grade students who did not even meet 50 percent of their reading goal?  The ones who are going to have a hard time reading the ELA Exam that is written at grade level, because they are not practicing reading. They therefore are not building foundations to help make connections or raising they reading level.  How do I get them to finish a book? I can convince them to pick up a book, but how do I persuade them to read at home, how do I convince them to keep reading?  The more  they read, the more they'll know....  How do I help them read more? 

Any answers?

No comments: