Friday, June 15, 2012

How many books did You read this year?

Last fall I posted an entry about the fantastic opportunity I had to see Donalyn Miller (The Book Whisperer).  She showed us a video in which she had taken pictures of her students hold a piece of paper with the number of books they read in the last year.  She challenges her students to read 40 books a year.

Felling inspired, I did the same.  I created a chart with the following requirements:
  • 2 Poetry anthologies
  • 2 Traditional literature books
  • 2 realistic Fiction Books
  • 2 Historical Fiction Books
  • 2 Fantasy Books
  • 2 Science Fiction Books
  • 15 Informational Books
  • 2 Biographies, Memoirs, Autobiographies
  • 1 Graphic Novel
  • 10 free choice books
I chose 15 informational because one of my class requirements is 1 nonfiction book every 2 weeks.   These nonfiction books could be the shorter guided reading books, or "readers".  Students were asked to read good fit books, so some of my 6ht graders may of read Brisinger, while others were reading I Survived...Katrina.

My Common Core based lesson can be found here, along with the handouts.  It was one of my first CCLS units, so forgive my mistakes please. 

Here is one of  my videos (the others seem to be too big :-( ) with my student's totals and their graphs. 



No comments: