Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The World's Number 1 Storyteller

Who's that you say?? Roald Dahl! At least that's what Penguin books is telling us.  They are celebrating what would be his 94th birthday (September 13th) with a Reading Dahlathon.  Students who read three Dahl books before December 31st will receive an award certificate, a Roald Dahl play, and the first 1000 will get a medal!!  You can download a calendar full of activities.

I feel a read aloud coming on.  My personal childhood favorite is Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator.  I enjoyed it even more than Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (I loved all the places they visited and things they met!).  Maybe I'll let the kids vote for the first read-aloud.  Which Dahl book would you choose?  If you cant decide use the Buckswashing Book Chooser!

Teachers who have a Dahl event can submit a picture and have a chance at winning $100 for a pizza party.

Speaking of theachers read what his teachers wrote on his reportcard:

His 1931 report card:
"A persistent muddler. Vocabulary negligible, sentences malconstructed. He reminds me of a camel."
And then, in 1932:
"This boy is an indolent and illiterate member of the class."

Can you imagine " Vocabulary negligible" makes me laugh, no, strike that reverse that, makes me cry!

No comments: